I am very picky when it to self tanners because I am so fair and you can really tell if the product streaks, if it’s patchy or the if it’s the wrong undertone for me. After trying a ton of different self tanners, I have decided a golden undertone works best for my fair skin. Sometimes I have used self tanners that look almost green but develop into a gorgeous golden color so I am fine with that as well. However because I am so fair, I ALWAYS mix every single self tanner with an unscented body lotion. This thins out the product and prevents me from getting any streaks. It may take a few extra days to get the desired color that I want, but I am willing to do that in order not to have to deal with streaks or uneven patches.
I also find that diluting the formula with an unscented body lotion helps the tan fade more evenly. I also apply any body self tanners with a tanning mitt. You don’t necessarily have to with these products but I find it easier. I like to make sure I have exfoliated the day before and I will apply body lotion every day after tanning to ensure my skin stays hydrated and it makes my self tan look smoother. I have been wanting to try the Tan-Luxe line and got a chance to test out a handful of their products and definitely have some favorites.
1. Tan-Luxe The Gradual – This is my favorite product out of the bunch and the one I plan to repurchase! I can see a difference the very next day after using this and it is JUST enough color. After using it for 2-3 days in a row, I really get a gorgeous golden glow and it lasts about a week on me! I still mix it with an unscented body lotion which dilutes it a bit, but the color looks so even and is the perfect amount of tan for my fair skin.
2. Tan-Luxe Super Glow Body – I am a huge fan of hyaluronic acid so I was super excited to test this out. It gives me the lightest color out of everything I tried. I normally mix it with a body lotion but have used alone and don’t find that it streaks. However, the color you will get is VERY subtle even after applying it a few days in a row. I sometimes use this one day and the next day apply The Gradual which is a nice combo.
3. Tan-Luxe Body Tanning Drops in Light/Medium – This is the original product that made Tan-Luxe so popular and I can definitely see why. You can basically customize your self tanner by deciding how many drops you will add to your body lotion. I got the darkest color with using this so I have to be very light-handed or else it can be a bit streaky. I normally apply one drop to each area of the body I am tanning. I like the color that I get but The Gradual lotion is still my favorite.
4. Tan-Luxe Super Glow Hyaluronic Self-Tan Serum – I was really intrigued to try the face products and while I liked them, I don’t think they are for me because I wear a medium coverage makeup everyday and it basically covers up the glow/tan I get from the drops. This Hyaluronic serum is VERY subtle which is nice and gives my skin the tiniest bit of color so for the days I am not wearing any makeup, it is gorgeous.
5. Tan-Luxe Face Tanning Drops in Light/Medium – This definitely gave me the most color but since I would cover it up with foundation, I didn’t really see the tan on my face. I think both of these would be a great option for those that don’t wear foundation often or wear something very sheer so you would be able to see the self tan through the makeup. I only need one drop mixed into my daytime moisturizer to get a nice golden glow to my face.
Another quick note – all of the body self tanners dry quickly and do not stain my bed sheets or pajamas (since I typically self tan in the evening). You could apply them in the morning as well since there is no transfer to clothing and the formula dries in a few minutes.