I have always had mixed feelings about bronzers. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don’t. But every summer I feel that pull to give them a go again and see if I can achieve a natural bronzed look that works for pale skin. Currently this
has been my go-to bronzer for the past couple of months, so I was quite surprised to venture back out into the world of bronzers and discover so many great options for fair skin. I’m also currently deciding if I should splurge on this Charlotte Tilbury set
from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale because it seems like sculpted cheekbones in a case, but I haven’t yet pulled the trigger. My preferences are still powder over gel, cream or liquid but I can be easily swayed if I find something fabulous. Here are my 4 (yes 4, can you believe it?) new (to me that is) bronzer discoveries:
1. Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Bronzer in Light/Medium
– The first thing to hit you when you open the compact is most definitely the scent – chocolate. Yum! And not that sickeningly sweet type of fragrance that nauseates you – this is a scent I can tolerate and actually like. It does dissipate once you apply in case that is a concern. Now on to the texture – like velvet. So smooth, delicate and finely milled that as soon as you dip the brush in powder goes everywhere. But to be honest, that is not a deterrent at all because the formula is so beautiful. I use as a contour or a bronzer and it gives an amazing subtle glow. I will be hitting pan on this for sure.
2. Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder in Bronze 02
– Another finely milled powder that has a tendency to disperse everywhere when you dip a brush into it, but as with the Too Faced bronzer the formula is worth it. A bit more shine than the Too Faced, it goes on evenly and does not oxidize. I apply it onto my cheeks and hairline to help give the face a bit of definition and radiance. And after the reviews I keep hearing about the Matte Radiance Highlighter
, I think that may be the next piece I buy from this range to pair with the bronzer. My cheekbones are in for a treat, that’s for sure.
3. Kevyn Aucoin Celestial Bronzing Veil Tropical Days
– This is the boldest of all the four bronzers but I still swoon every time I use it. It has a shimmer that runs through it, as evidenced by the ombre pattern, however when applied to the skin it turns to a beautiful glow rather than an overdone sparkle. I love this bronzer more for the evening, and especially when paired with a sultry smokey eye for added drama. Kevyn Aucoin
was always the master of achieving a flawless complexion and this bronzer is no doubt a tribute to that legacy.
4. Chantecaille St. Barth’s Bronzer
– I can’t decide which I like more about this bronzer – the packaging or the formula. The mirrored compact is so elegant, as is all Chantecaille packaging that I can’t help but feel luxurious when using. It’s also the least bulky out of the 4 so undoubtedly it will be with me when I travel. This St. Barth’s shade is part of their Summer 2014 collection and definitely has a bit more shimmer than the Too Faced
or Laura Mercier
, but does not make the face look too shiny or powdered. While I typically dust bronzer along my cheeks and hairline, I find this looks beautiful when worn on the apples of my cheeks as if it were a standard blush. It gives a warmth and brightness that other bronzers tend to turn into a muddy mess if worn on the same part of the face. Another win by Chantecaille, which is quickly solidifying their position as one of my favorite brands of all time.
*press samples included
Have you entered my Sunday Riley skincare giveaway??!! It’s a good one, trust me. Enter here
What are some of your favorite bronzers? Any I should try? Tell me in the comments below!