Shop the post:
Beauty Bits: Acne Fighting Products
January,03 2014 | Acne, Acne Products, Beauty Bits, Dermalogica, Mario Badescu, REN, Skincare
Acne and breakouts are something that I have struggled with since I was a teenager. On the spectrum, I know my case is rather mild, but my skin can really act up when it wants to. Over the years, my breakouts have now limited themselves to my chin and jaw area which I know primarily hormonal, but it doesn’t make it any more fun to deal with. Taking better care of my skin over the past few years has dramatically helped reduce my breakouts, however I have isolated a few certain products I have come across along the way that stand out from the rest in helping me keep my skin in check. Mario Badescu products have been some of the best I have ever used in maintaining my clear skin, but there have been a few others that I have come across recently that were quite exceptional and needed to be added to this list. Here is a look at some of my favorite acne fighting products:
1. Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion – This toner can be quite strong so I recommend using sparingly, but it is great at disinfecting the skin and helping to reduce bacteria. I apply after I have cleansed and before I begin applying any serums or moisturizers. I made the mistake of letting this run out without a back up, and my skin freaked out. Lesson learned.
2. Dermalogica Precleanse Wipes – I am quite the facial wipe connoisseur, and while most seem to do a suitable job, these stood out immediately to me. Much like their Precleanse product, these wipes help to break out oil, makeup, dirt and grime so easily allowing for a more thorough cleanse after. I find that half the battle in fighting acne is to properly cleanse the skin and remove all the yucky stuff (technical term) that contributes to clogging pores and irritating the skin.
3. Mario Badescu Drying Lotion – Yes, it pained me just to turn this bottle on its side for the picture since they give you strict instructions NOT to ever shake the bottle. Leave the contents upright and simply dab a q-tip into the sediment at the bottom and dab on the blemish. I typically use this only on whiteheads (ugh, I know – it’s even gross to say) to help shrink and reduce the inflammation. It’s pretty powerful stuff so just a dab will do ya.
4. Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion – Included in my 2013 Beauty Favorites, I am never without this product. If I travel, this is the first thing I throw in my bag. Technically designed to treat cystic acne (which I often suffer from), this is best applied at night to help soothe the skin and reduce the breakout. Now I will stress that often (any of) these products take time to heal a blemish (or blemishes – plural, ugh) so patience is a must but the process moves a lot faster with these in my arsenal. But a little tip from me to you when using this gem, I often apply it under my makeup to help the blemish heal during the day and find that it works wonders.
5. Mario Badescu Drying Cream – This product is new to me, but I instantly fell in love. And while I go rogue and use the Buffering Lotion under my makeup occasionally, this is actually designed to help conceal, treat blemishes and be worn under makeup. Great at drying up small under the surface bumps and blemishes, I am not sure how I ever lived without it before. Seriously, the more you know…..
6. Mario Badescu Silver Powder – What the heck is this stuff? – my thoughts the first time I used it. I read the instructions and it said to dab a wet cotton ball into the dry powder mixture and apply to any areas with blackheads. But all skepticism went away when I removed the powder after 10 minutes (use a cotton pad soaked in toner), and my pores looked squeaky clean! The powder is designed to help unclog (again, gross I know, but the truth) congested pores and absorb any excess oil. But a slight word of caution, if you walk by an open window or fan with this stuff on your face, be prepared for a dust storm.
7. REN Invisible Pores Detox Mask – While most of these products help to address the blemishes themselves, this mask is great because it treats my entire face. It helps to purify the skin, remove dirt and impurities and I love the way my skin feels after. Some pore-cleansing masks can leave my skin dry, tight and uncomfortable, but this is just the opposite. Once I remove, my skin looks smoother, softer and most importantly still feels hydrated.
Beauty Bits, Burberry, Chanel, Dark Lip Colors, Fresh, NARS, Tom Ford | December 30, 2013
Confession – I never wore dark lip colors before this year. Reds, yes. Pinks, yes. Corals, yes. But dark colors were never my bag, baby. That was