SPF is a non-negotiable for me, but it is definitely more important than ever in the summer. While there are many great sunscreens out there, not all work well under makeup, and for me that is paramount. I may switch to a lighter formulation of foundation in the warmer months but other than that, my makeup routine does not change. So finding something that wears well, does not make me more oily or alter the finish/texture of my foundation is something I am in constant search for. I have been testing out a few over the past few weeks and narrowed it down to the ones I have enjoyed the most.
1. Dermalogica Oil Free Matte SPF 30
– I have been using this sunscreen for almost a year now, and it’s a staple in my routine. Thicker in texture, only a little is needed to cover the entire face. Though it helps keep me matte, I can get a bit oily by midday so I often use a setting powder over my makeup in the morning.
2. Revive Sensitif Renewal Cream Daily Cellular Sunscreen SPF 30
* – I received a sample of this when I stopped by a Revive counter a month ago. I put it aside and forgot about it because frankly I have approximately 14,589 samples at home. I pulled it out randomly one day and tried it on. Well, that sample sealed the deal. It was flawless – the texture, the way it goes on the skin, the way makeup wears over it – everything! It is quite the splurge, but I can see why. I applied it on a morning when I had some irritation and redness, and it soothed it right away. Good for all skin types, even sensitive, but as an oily skinned gal, this was simply perfect.
3. Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free SPF 42
* – This is an entirely different texture than the previous two discussed, and reminded me of other sunscreens I have used in the past that I did not like. So initially, the watery-like texture and slightly powdery dry down finish put me off, until I let it sit on my skin for a minute. It felt velvety and soft to the touch, and made my face matte immediately. My skin did look a tad lighter once it was on, but nothing that would deter me from using. Once I applied my foundation on top, it wore beautifully. Overall I think this may be a better option for oilier skin types.
4. Sunday Riley Cashmere SPF 30 Sun Defense
* – Reading the reviews for this sunscreen left me a bit confused about how it would work on my skin. Well I am glad I gave it a try because it was stunning. My husband actually commented to me the first time I wore it asking me if “I did something different with my skin” because it looked so perfect. The texture is a mix between a cream and a light gel, and a little bit goes a long way. Many reviews mentioned a pilling or balling up once on the skin, but I did not find this to be the case at all. I only used a small amount (but still covered the entire face), but this 100% mineral formula was amazing. I didn’t anticipate it to keep me matte, but surprisingly it did. I think this will be a year round staple for me for sure.
5. Murad Essential-C Sun Balm Stick SPF 35
– Felicia of ThisThatBeauty
turned me onto this initially. I had seen her singing its praises but the idea of a sunscreen stick just kept turning me off. But then (as is always the case) I caved and headed to Sephora to purchase. The texture took me some getting used to, but once I applied and smoothed it in with my fingers, it felt divine on the skin. Not sticky, not greasy – it felt better than most moisturizers to be honest. And makeup glided right on top without any issue. For the price point, ease and feel – this sunscreen is a no brainer, aka must-have for summer.
* press samples