Now that it is moving into the pitiful portion of the year when it only remains light outside for my 20 min lunch jaunt and the only sun that my body is getting is shielded by the 18,257 layers of clothing I am wearing to keep warm, my blushes and I are becoming super tight all over again. I need some life brought to my cheeks during grouchy old man winter. So I figured I would share what blushes are in my stash, and have become my favorites. Now I should preface this by saying many people may have Fall shades, and Winter shades, followed by delightfully adorable Spring shades. I may have something on heavier rotation during certain times of the year, but on the whole I’m an equal opportunity season blush wearer, which I’m sure is the technical term. Let’s start with my nude shades, ones that work well with just about any look, especially those intense eye or lip looks that need a supporting cast not willing to compete.
1. Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Color in Barely Pink – supremely sheer and pale – beautiful none the less but works best on gals whose skin tone resembles transparency.
2. MAC Powder Blush in Tenderling – I have probably had this color for the past 7-8 years (no it hasn’t gone bad, trust me I keep certain makeup for eons and my face stays in tact somehow) and find that it’s always my trusty neutral shade. Could even be used slightly as a contour shade on the cheeks if you are so inclined – or know what the heck you are doing.
3. Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush #10 – A little tidbit for you – I worked for Armani for a few years so I came to intimately know the brand. This is one of their top selling blushes and for good reason. Slightly more rose/plum on me but still beautiful and natural. A bit more shimmer than the other two so powder for me is a must with this blush.
Now that we have successfully navigated the land of the neutral blush, here is a snapshot of my favorite brighter blushes that really give me that pop of color that can be so fresh and lively on pale, dull skin. I do tend to steer more towards peach and coral tones rather than cool blue-based pinks, so all probably resemble each other in a certain way, but if one is good, 10 is probably better.
1. MAC Blush in Pinch O’ Peach – I have also had this shade for a hot minute (I worked for them as well for a few years – told ya I been around) and loved it back then and still do today. One of the sheertones, which are more finely milled and glide on beautifully, it’s a matte peach shade that works for a wide spectrum of skin tones from pale to deep.
2. NARS in Outlaw – A newbie to my makeup collection and recently one of my monthly favorites, this color is extremely pigmented so just a smidge will work on my pale skin. Sometimes I just stare at it and wish it on my cheeks because I need so little. But the color reads so well on my skin and gives me a beautiful rosy glow – perfect when paired with a strong lip. To see how it reads, click here to see my Polka Dot post where I wore it with my fave Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lip in Razzberry. It is slowly becoming my fave makeup combo.
3. Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Color in Lush Nectarine – Opposite to the aforementioned Barely Pink, this color gives your cheek a punch of color. Named appropriately, the color reads as a rich coral and is perfect for almost any skin tone. Every brown eye shadow you own will rejoice when paired with this color. Impending nuptials for sure.
4. Shu Uemura Rhythym – Ok don’t be mad but this color is limited edition. eek! I know, I know, I hate it too. But this is more a testament to Shu Uemura – an amazing makeup line that is still so under the radar. The shade is coupled with a bronzer at one end which when swirled together seems to create the healthiest, have-you-just-been-to-the-islands, no-I-haven’t-my-it’s-just-my-makeup cheek. Highly pigmented so don’t let its subtlety fool you – this color can serve some serious payoff, as does the entire line. Sadly it’s only online for those in the U.S. but true makeup junkies do not let boundaries such as the internet or thousands of miles keep us from obtaining the best products out there!
What are some of your favorite blushes? Any brands that you swear by?