If you have been reading my blog for a while now, you are familiar with my
undying love appreciation for cleansing oils. I find them to be one of the most effective ways to remove my makeup, deep cleanse and keep my skin looking the best it can. Surprisingly however, I have never mentioned cleansing balms on my blog and how wonderful they can be for any and all skin types. So I felt it was time to join forces in a post and feature both cleansing oils and cleansing balms and rave about them both. Being super (super) oily, I initially feared both of these mediums for the obvious reasons - oil and balm on my face? Are you crazy? But that fear quickly turned into adoration after using them and seeing first hand how great my skin began to look. With both cleansing oils and balms, they cut through makeup effortlessly and leave my skin less oily afterwards then other cleansers. Why is that? The reason I have found is because when oil is removed/stripped from the face, it stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce more oil thus creating a vicious cycle. Here is a look at some great cleansing oil and balm options:
1. Boscia Makeup/Breakup Cleansing Oil - Still new to the Boscia brand, I have tried a few of their products and they continuously amaze me each time. This cleansing oil is both affordable and is a pleasure to use as I barely have to do any work when removing my makeup. It's cuts right throw all my makeup layers in a second and even waterproof mascara doesn't stand a chance with this oil.
2. Tatcha Cleansing Oil (c/o) - Good ol' Tatcha - still one of my favorite brands of all time. Their enzyme powder is my holy grail and I became a fan of their cleansing oil upon first use. Especially when my skin is feeling a bit irritated or sensitive, I find this cleanser to give me a deep, thorough cleanse while still treating my skin with kid gloves, and leaving it soothed and soft.
3. REN Purity Cleansing Balm (c/o) - A product that both cleanses and conditions the skin in one? Yes please. This cleansing balm easily removes makeup, especially when used with the muslin cloth included. This is one that I often travel with because when I am away from home my skin needs something to help cleanse but keep it balanced and this always does the trick.
4. Neal's Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm (c/o)- I am quickly becoming a fan of this UK organic brand, and I can add this cult classic to my list of favorites from NYR. Saying this product is multi-purpose is an understatement since it can be used as a cleanser, exfoliant or rich moisturizer, and is incredibly gentle. Dry, chapped, winter skin has met it's match in this product.
5. Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm - As still one of the strongest skincare brands in the market, Clinique will always be great for basic, effective skincare staples. And this cleansing balm is no exception. What applies as a thick balm, quickly dissolves into a silky, rich oil that removes makeup in a pinch, leaving skin feeling smooth and soft. Makeup residue need not apply.
Shop more cleansing oils and balms: