When talking skincare, the one question that I consistently get asked time and time again - do toners really work? Why do you love toners so much? Toners seems pointless - make them relevant to me. Toners, toners, toners - WHY? And not so long ago - my sentiments and subsequent questions of toners to those who were skincare lovers were exactly the same. I have since jumped on the bandwagon and simply cannot imagine my morning or evening skincare ritual (occasionally there is chanting and lit candles) without them. I love toners! And I wand the world to know!!!Ok - maybe just people that read my blog, but it's a start. Before we begin - let's just answer the age old question - what do toners do? Generally toners help to balance the pH of the skin. What the what? My translation: toners help to balance the fluctuating needs of my skin. Maybe I'm feeling a bit dry, too oily, breakouts rearing their ugly head, or extra sensitive (my skin not my mood - well, sorta), and I have a toner to help address all of these concerns.
1. SKII Facial Treatment Clear Lotion - My newest addition to the family, this skin-refining facial lotion helps to purify and condition my skin but with NO alcohol. I use this either morning or night, and find my skin feels soothed and calm after, while the hydroxy-acids help to add an extra step of exfoliation.
2. Kate Somerville Clarifying Treatment Toner - My oily skin keeps me in constant stock of toners that help fight off those pain-in-the-ass blemishes I still deal with post puberty (like waaaaaay post). What drew me to this diddy is the fact that it acts as a treatment, with antiseptic properties to help PREVENT future breakouts. Blemishes are now persona non grata on my face, and I would like to keep it that way.
3. Mario Badescu Special Cucumber Lotion (c/o) -Truth be told, THIS is the product that convinced me that toners can change your skincare game. Using this product a few times a week immediately reduced (if not totally stopped) my breakouts, though did not leave my skin feeling stripped of moisture. It's officially been confirmed that the Special Cucumber Lotion has been inducted into the ALB holy grail hall of fame. I feel a ceremony is in order, don't you?
4. Mario Badescu Alpha Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion (c/o) - If one Mario Badescu toner is good, TWO IS BETTER - brighter skin is the name of this game. I have found that adding a toner specifically designed at exfoliating has given my skin an added boost in terms of radiance, while also helping to reduce any slight pigment discoloration. When my skin is feeling dull or lifeless, this Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion helps to bring it back to life using citrus extracts which break down pore congestion and dead cells. All that is left is the soft, healthy, new skin that makes me look eternally post-facial. And the world has no idea - I'm so sneaky.
5. Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner - Now after I have exfoliated, brightened and cleared out every last spot of debris from my pores, I need a moment of solace - toner-ly speaking of course. Enter Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner - an alcohol-free toner designed for extra sensitive and delicate skin. While winter has been busy showing NYC who is boss (total Napoleon complex if you ask me), my skin has been busy trying to stay out of its way, though some days failing miserably. I use this in the morning or evening when my skin needs a tad more TLC, and it helps to calm it down and bring everything back into harmony. Namaste.
Have I convinced you yet - are you joining me on the "I Love Toners" bandwagon? You know we could make t-shirts......